I usually make my own strawberry and vanilla jam during the summer but 9 months pregnant and then with a newborn I somehow didn’t manage it this year (funny that!).
So now that we are a bit more settled with the little one, I thought it would be lovely to make some edible, home made presents to give to people this Christmas. I decided on Nigella Lawson’s Chilli Jam from her Christmas book. It is so simple to make and the vibrant scarlett colour of the finished jam is just so gorgeous and christmassy.
I followed the recipe as it is and had no problems with the jam setting at all.
150g long red chilli peppers (deseeded and cut into chunks)
150g red bell pepper
600 ml cider vinegar
1 kg jam sugar
You will need a food processor to blitz the chilli and peppers and about 6x 250 ml preserving jars.
1. Pulse the chillis and pepper chunks in your food processor until finely choppped.
2. Dissolve the jam sugar and cider vinegar in a large pan and then add the processed chillis and peppers. Bring to a boil. No need to stir at this point.
3. When your mixture has come to a rolling boil, start timing and continue boiling ferociously for 10 minutes.
4. Decant the hot jam into your sterilised jars, ideally with a jam funnel and leave to cool and set with the lids on.
5. Decorate to your heart’s content with ribbons, paper, labels and bows!