I finally bought myself a nifty little waffle maker about a week ago…
…and I have already made two batches of the sweet and fluffy little things. To be honest, waffles to me are the ultimate comfort food which conjure vanilla tinged childhood memories . They are the perfect special treat for breakfast, lunch or supper and they are also awesome eaten cold as an energy boosting snack (I have vivid memories of eating cold waffles in the car on the way home after going swimming). To top it all off, waffles are possibly the only food (if using the correct waffle-making implement) that come presented in a beautiful flower shape which upon eating breaks up into…wait for it… perfect little love hearts!! Well, it really doesn’t get much better than that!
Oh, and did I mention that I LOVE waffles? 😉
Vanilla waffles (makes about 8-10)
175g soft butter
1 pinch of salt
4 medium eggs
200g plain flour
30g corn flour
2-3 tbsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder
icing sugar for dusting (optional)
toppings of choice (optional): jam, banana, Nutella, cinnamon, peanut butter, syrup, ….
1. Whisk the butter, sugar and a pinch of salt until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs and whisk each one into the butter thoroughly. Mix in the vanilla.
2. Mix the flour, cornflour and baking powder in a seperate bowl.
3. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and incorporate well whilst adding the water little
by little. The dough can end up looking a bit curdled but just keep mixing. If it stays looking like that- don’t worry it will still work fine.
4. Preheat your waffle iron (medium heat) and use 2 tbsp of dough for each waffle.
5. Bake each one for about 3-4 minutes or longer depending on your waffle maker.
Here is what mine looked like:
I honestly expected using a waffle iron to be quite messy and stressful but ended up finding it the exact opposite! Very quick, mess free and simply delish!!