This cake came about because I wanted to use up a jar of Morello cherries I had been
hoarding keeping in the cupboard for ages. In case you are wondering, I buy them in large jars from Lidl. I like to stock up on them because they remind me of my childhood but I never quite get around to using them in anything. Well, I am happy to announce that jars of Morello cherries shall not be gathering dust in my cupboard anymore! And the reason for that is this cake. I will be making this again and again!
Morello Cherry and Almond cake
125 g soft butter
125 g sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
a few drops of orange or almond essence/extract (orange will make it fresher and almond sweeter)
3 medium eggs
100 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp milk
1 jar Morello cherries, drained
1. Line and grease a round Springform tin and preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C if using a fan oven).
2. Cream together the butter and sugar, salt, vanilla extract and orange or almond essence.
3. Whisk in each egg one at a time.
4. Fold in the ground almonds.
5. Mix the flour and baking powder and fold this into the cake batter in turn with the milk.
6. Spread the cake mix into the prepared tin. Distribute the cherries evenly on top. Bake for 45 minutes. (The cherries will sink into the cake as it bakes). Dust with icing sugar to serve.